THE CONDUIT COMPOSER

Wednesday 2 May 2018

Stepping over the 50 threshold

Once again today, I am being bombarded online with adverts asking me ...  'Over 50? Need a Life Plan? Who will cover your funeral costs and look after your loved ones?'

What it should read is 'Over 50, need a hand deconstructing negative stereotypes?' That would certainly be a big fat YES.

Stepping over the 50 threshold has been a frightening insight into the inherent ageism that is woven through every day life. I have become acutely aware of how social media portrays us. 

I spent my entire youth campaigning for the rights of young people, so that we were heard and had a voice. Now it seems, I will spend my entire journey into older age, campaigning for older people to have the same. So be it. 



It is one of the reasons why I set up the Award Winning Sound Memories Dementia Friendly Radio Station,  empowering us to support each other in making our own memory resources through telling our story. As Gandhi kindly taught us, we must be the change we want to see in the world. If you would like to make a contribution to Sound Memories Radio, here's a link to our GOFUNDME page. We are currently raising funds to pay for our website hosting. Loving thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.