THE CONDUIT COMPOSER

Wednesday 25 October 2017

More than a Story at Parc Howard Museum



When Rachel Murphy of Artscare Gofal Celf invited me to Parc Howard Museum to run workshops for 60 primary school children, I wasn't sure if I should say yes. 


Now that I have lost my hearing I am learning new ways of managing and working with groups and I wondered if 60 were too many. 


When I first suffered hearing loss, I shied totally away from large groups. I suppose I was scared about the sound levels as my hyperacusis causes quite painful distortion in my head.


I have found that the best way to deal with it,  is to be completely honest from the get go. 

When I explain to  children that I am deaf and that I wear hearing aids, they are so understanding and they really enjoy learning sign language with me. I use signing to manage the sound levels. 

You know, during my 30 year career in schools, I have always found that children are inherently very kind and they never cease to touch my heart with their empathy.


Both of my workshops at Parc Howard were absolutely amazing because I couldn't have asked for a more perfect venue, more helpful staff or more wonderful children. 


I adapted my new story Fallen Tree by taking the main character from it, Child of the Trees and placing her in Industrial LLanelli in 1912, the year that Parc Howard was opened as a public Park.


I took this picture early morning when I arrived so it was a bit overcast, but you can see how absolutely magnificent it is.


I incorporated the wonderful collections into the storytelling at the museum as I felt it was important for the children to engage with their local heritage.


We made storytelling concertina cue cards, as well as talking sticks.




I was so touched because the Chinese language asst. said that she had really loved the story and it made her think about her own roots. It was quite something to see her notes about my story, written in Chinese.



My hearing aid did distort during the session ... but it made me realise that it's ok. I have been avoiding any situations where it might distort because it is not pleasant, but it's not the end of the world either. 


I just have to learn how to manage it and the best way to do that is to re-introduce myself back into the environments that give me joy in my heart, like this one. Because the joy in my heart outweighs any distortion that might happen. 


I figure it is time to either learn how to manage the sound levels of my distortion or completely lose touch with the things that I love to do, the latter not being an option!

When I got home, I had a real sense of getting my mojo back ... and for that I am very grateful indeed. Massive thank you to Rachel from Artscare who has kept in contact with me throughout this journey, touching base to see if I was ready to come back to work, even though I didn't think I ever would be. 

Heartfelt thanks to Rhian from Communities First for funding the week long Arts Event in partnership with Artscare.

BIG thanks to Morrigan who is the new Development Officer for Museums. She has been in post for a year and hats off, she is working really hard to bring creative innovation, exciting activities and equal access to our museums.



So, although it has felt at times like a tall staircase to climb, I can honestly say that this week was so much more than a Story. 


It was one almighty step forward in terms of healing. I hope this inspires you to think about your health needs and helps you to think about opening up to the possibility of change management, enabling yourself to re-birth into the same but different.


Please note that all parental permissions for photographs was obtained by Communities First.




















































No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.