THE CONDUIT COMPOSER

Saturday 6 August 2016

Sharing the Sitar Shanti




I LOVE string instruments, particularly those from other cultures that I don't usually get the chance to experiment with.



So, when Gareth Davies came yesterday to record for The Mantra Experiments (see last blog) I was blown away when he invited me to play his wonderful sitars.


As a guitarist and ukulele player, I can usually pick out a tune pretty quickly on a string instrument and the same can be said for the Sitar, tho doubtless I was playing completely wrong, I have to say, I might be putting a sitar on my Christmas list this year!



I love the way that an instrument brings me completely into the now, so that all that exists is me and her.




(Thoughts for another time: The Sitar felt like a 'her'. Actually, now I come to think of it, I don't have an instrument that feels like a 'him'. Mmm, maybe I choose instruments that speak to my Shakti. )



Thanks for sharing the Sitar Shanti, Gareth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.