THE CONDUIT COMPOSER

Sunday 19 August 2012

Editing Editing & More Editing!





I love being in the studio with an engineer writing and recording, adding quirky sounds and environmental landscape to the music. I love putting all the films together ... but this week I have started the process of serious editing!

I work from the premise that having too much and then cutting down is better than feeling that you don't have enough material but it is a long drawn out task mixing and editing.

It's not as straight forward as it may seem. When you paint a canvass you don't just plonk the paint on and hope for the best. You mark out perspective, look for subtle reference, as well as fore front images and creating music is very similar to this. If all the instruments were in exactly the same place they would occupy the same frequency and you may not hear them in their full right.

Having the time to edit my own work in this way is an absolute gift! I never usually have enough time to spend on my own songs, composition and film because I am too busy holding the space for others to create, which is a very beautiful thing in itself, but I have to tell you, having this Individual Mainline Grant gives me the time to experiment and listen back to my work, which is an absolute blessing.

Instead of 'making do' I can re-do because I have the time to do that!

Thank you to The Arts Council of Wales for my Individual Mainline Grant and giving me the space to be as refelctive and caring about my own work as I am that of others.


                




Only down side is that I get so engrossed in the studio that I lose literally hours at a time, forgetting to eat, sleep and all other bodily functions! lol!

Many thanks to Sound Engineer Jeff Beer for his fabulous technical skills and unfaltering patience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.