THE CONDUIT COMPOSER

Sunday 24 September 2017

The Poetics of Dying


Our Dad passed away last weekend. In his passing, he taught the same lessons in death as he had during life;  courage, strength and grace. 

During this emotional time, when the world stood still, yet spun out of our control, I maintained a sense of being grounded by writing poetry. It is something I have done all my life. I have always kept a discrete notebook in my handbag so that my feelings can spill out, guarded by the cold blank pages and the ink. I find a great comfort in it. 

It feels cathartic to capture the poetic of observations, inner thoughts and meanderings. Sat encapsulated in the sterile ward environment, I scribbled on my page in an attempt to explain what was happening, while the platelets of my very existence seemed to shift. 

I did not realise what a great privilege it is to share death with a loved one in this way. To stay close and reassure them with pure love. I'm not sure I will ever quite feel the same although I can't work out  exactly what has changed.

We were in the Funeral Director's and I said that I had realised how important it is to plan for end of life and that I was thinking of making a beautiful End of Life Plan back at my studio, maybe inviting friends to join me. The Funeral Director said he thought that was a bit morbid. I couldn't help but laugh at the irony. Perhaps I would have found it morbid before, but not now. 

There was a postcard on the side advertising beautiful wicker caskets with ivy and flowers inter-twined. I commented on how lovely it was and how I would like one when my time came. The Funeral Director said I would need to start saving as they are very expensive. I told him with a wry smile, that hopefully I have another 40 years left and perhaps I could weave my own in that time. 

I am left with this thought ... 

There is poetry in death 
Just as there is in life
Yet we are too afraid
To speak it

There is a poetry in death
Just as there is in life
Yet we are too afraid
To hear it








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.