THE CONDUIT COMPOSER

Saturday 6 May 2017

Learning to Trust the Sacred Self on World Labyrinth Day



You can find out more about Cheryl Beer here

To celebrate World Labyrinth day, friends of mine were holding an event at their wonderful Farm, Gorslwyd, near Aberporth, on the West Wales coastline and kindly invited me along. 


They have 3 beautiful labyrinths on their land and also Jenni is a Qualified Sound Therapist, so she offered a wonderful Gong Bath .




I took off my shoes and socks to feel more connected to the earth and before entering, set an intention to trust inner self with regard to a new business venture that I have been working on since January, that although I totally believe in,  I constantly seek affirmation as it transforms, from my partner, when I know the affirmation I need is from within me.



'Labyrinth, I set an intention to learn self trust.'

I walked with my head up in the knowledge that every step took me further to the middle. No need to watch my feet, instead I saw the wonderful Llama who had come over by this point to see what on earth the humans were up to. 

I looked to the blue sky and the trees, listened to the seagulls flying above and the pigs snorting in the pen opposite  ... but then I noticed the rest of the group were reaching the middle before me.

Ali, who lovingly built the labyrinth for Jenni, was passing me in the opposite direction and she smiled. I simply couldn't stop myself,

'Am I going the right way?' I asked. She nodded.

And then I smiled too because even in a labyrinth my self doubt runs so deeply that I had to ask the person who made it, if I was going the right way.

I couldn't possibly have been going the wrong way. It made me chuckle at myself and I smiled at the Universe for teaching me this lesson and showing me very clearly that once committed to my goals, all I need to do is trust each footstep that I choose.

When we had all arrived at the labyrinth centre, Jenni connected us to the ancients.

I could hear the Universal Mantra, calling all spiritual teachers and leaders to bring peace to the world, singing in my head. When we opened our eyes, we all held hands and I asked if I might chant the mantra for the group. They welcomed this addition so, I closed my eyes and sang the Universal Guru Mantra.

This was a big thing for me. Since my hearing loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis I have avoided chanting or singing outside of my own practice because I can only manage to sing very quietly before my voice distorts in my head. 

The wind carried my voice and I sang as if I were chanting just for the sunshine beaming into my face. It felt so beautiful inside, I could have cried. How I have missed chanting for and with others.

I kept my eyes closed and waited until I could feel everyone had made their way back. Then, I set another intention ...

'When I open my eyes the first thing I see will be a message.'

I opened my eyes and there right in front of me, a robin. Given that it was a beautiful sunny May afternoon, we don't usually associate robins with this time of year, so I was surprised. I watched him sit in the tree and then fly off.



The spiritual significance of being visited by a robin, according to www.spirit-animals.com is the stimulation of new growth and renewal in many areas of life, that changes are made with joy and laughter, with a song in the heart. Being shown how to ride with winds of passion within the heart and become independent and self reliant through this change. The energy of Robin teaches how to move forward with grace, tenacity, perseverance and assertion.

Well, could that really be any more relevant in answer to my intention for self trust, set before entering the labyrinth?



As I left the first labyrinth to go to the second two in the other field, Jenni took me to one side and asked if I would lead a kirtan. 

Now, before my hearing loss, I would have had no hesitation, but I declined, saying that I couldn't because I would need people to sing quietly and that's not fair for me to ask of them. I felt that I might compromise their kirtan experience through my own needs, which seemed selfish.


We went over to the other labyrinths. I started at the heart labyrinth and with bare feet walked on the pebble shingle mindfully and then moved onto the grass labyrinth which just made my heart sing in every part. 




There was something mesmerising about the natural synergy between ancient, sacred geometry and the earth. 


As I walked these words circulated in my soul,

I am daisy
I am buttercup
I am blade of grass

I am labyrinth
I am Earth
I am the Universe 

By this time, I was floating. We sat on the bench before going in for handmade banana cake that Jenni had lovingly made for us and herbal tea. 

Ali said how she would have liked to learn the Universal Guru Mantra and I thought that actually, it was selfish of me NOT to share it just because of my needs and to trust ...  so I took a big breath and told the group what had been happening for me and if they didn't mind us chanting quietly, I would love to teach them the mantra. They didn't mind one bit. In fact the quietness made it feel more sacred.

I sang each line and they repeated quietly. Afterwards, I chanted a prayer to Ganesha which is a mantra to clear blockages and obstacles.

The group were so lovely, saying wonderful things about the mantra and my voice. I never thought I would be able to touch people in this way again ... and this time I was moved to tears and explained to them that this was the first time that I had held space in this way since losing my hearing, and how my heart was so happy to have done it.

We all hugged and I had to leave before the Sound Bath that Jenni was kindly sharing. She showed me her gong room. 



Oh my days. The energy literally came rushing to the door to greet me. I have never quite felt anything like it. 


I wished I could stay, but the gongs for sure, would be too much for my hyperacusis so instead of leaving, I went and sat in one of the summer houses and imagined I was in the room with everyone. By being on the land, I felt that I was still connected to the group energy.


And now, reflecting on the afternoon, little wonder such deep and magical things would manifest when one trusts ones intentions to the labyrinth.

Here's a link to Jenni and Ali's Farm: -
www.gorslwyd.co.uk  be sure to connect with them if you would like to visit and walk their labyrinths throughout the year.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.